WADE ST. ONGE

.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Purpose for this Blog?

There is one reason I have decided to start a blog: I want to get my manuscripts published, and I was advised that starting a blog might help me achieve that end.

I have thought on and off about the possibility of beginning a blog, but it was never a serious consideration until now. To me, it just seemed as though
blogging was fuelled by pride, as though people perceived this need to be heard and to have an audience. Furthermore, I had a lot of other things on my plate (which I believed to be more important). Finally - and here is my silliest reason - I have a strong aversion for and knee-jerk reaction to anything that becomes "the latest fad" or "the 'in' thing". My father jokes, "if it was up to you, we'd all be knee-deep in a river washing our clothes with a scrub board". Of course, he is being facetious, but the sad thing is, I think there is something therapeutic and spiritual about some of "the old ways". Anyway, I digress . . .

I changed my mind about blogging after having run out of potential Catholic publishers (I have been turned down by 20 so far). I joined the Catholic Writers Guild online in the hopes that they might be able to help me. One suggestion given to me (among the many good ones I received) was to begin a blog. From there, I was told, I might be able to get enough "recognition" that a publisher might take interest. I was working out with my reporter-friend recently, and I picked his brain about the place and value of blogs. He said to me, "with the internet the way it is today, if you're good and you want to get published, you will eventually be recognized and you will get published".

So, here I am!!