WADE ST. ONGE

.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

About the Blogger

My Views. I am doctrinally orthodox, liturgically traditionalist, and theologically liberal. (a) During my three years in Edmonton, I went from attending a conservative Novus Ordo parish and a Tridentine Mass to a Life Teen Mass then finally to an Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgy. I liked something different about each (and hated something different about each), and left each time to “re-balance”. (b) Contrary to popular misperception, it is possible to be “orthodox” and “liberal” – many of our greatest saints and reformers and theologians were (which is often what made them great saints and reformers and theologians). The problem is that we equate “liberal” with “heterodox” – contrary to the authentic definitions of both.

My Modus Operandi. (1) Theological / Spritual. I observe and/or reflect upon all things secular, seek to discern the deeper and more spiritual themes and meanings in them, interpret them according to a Christian paradigm, and “bridge” them by showing how they all point us toward Christ and have their unity and fulfillment in Him. (i) Music is my favourite for this – and I am not talking U2 (that’s too easy); heavy metal and rap is much more of a challenge. I might post a few of my “artistic exegeses”. (2) Practical / Temporal. As a lay person, I have been called to get involved in the secular world and strive to infuse a Christian spirit into all things and witness to a life redeemed by Christ. (a) I try to personally avoid and warn others about two key errors I believe were made after Vatican II concerning the role of the laity: (i) drawing a false dichotomy between the “secular” and the “religious”, whereby the latter is seen as good and something we should do as much of as possible, while the former consists of things which are either evil or neutral and should be done only inasmuch as necessary and should be dropped in favour of “religious” things whenever possible (thus drawing up an opposition between “worldly things” and “God’s will” to such a degree that we no longer think such things are ways through which we can serve God). (ii) often as a consequence of the former (but not always), spending so much time in the Church and with Church activities and events that we are neglecting our duty to involve ourselves in the World, in the secular sphere, and applying to it and infusing it with Christian principles, thus ordering it to the Gospel and transforming it in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment