WADE ST. ONGE

.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Art (ART): Religious Connections and "Exegeses"

I received a sharp rebuke a number of years back from my seminary classmate and good friend, (now Fr.) Francesco. We attended a movie called ”The Pianist” on the recommendation (and on the dime) of our class formator, Monsignor Lyons. After the movie, Francesco was reflecting deeply upon certain parts, and I sat there with a confused look on my face. That began a discussion, and when I replied “for entertainment” to Francesco’s question, “Why do you go to movies”, I received a lecture.

I was upset at the time, but now I’m the one who gives that lecture! Well, not really. I just prefer to watch movies with others whom I can have the kind of conversation with that I could not give Francesco years earlier.

I have come to love the arts. Unfortunately, I tend to sometimes get so attentive to the spiritual meaning behind everything that I fail to take in and enjoy it for its beauty. Hmmm, come to think of it – that would have been a nice comeback to Fr. Francesco’s lecture! Not that he was incorrect – but a nice, healthy balance is key.

I will be posting many of my artistic “exegeses” (as I like to call them) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment