WADE ST. ONGE

.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Liturgy (LIT): Reflections, Insights, and Exegeses

I always enjoyed Mass, even though I didn’t really understand what was going on, and even though I complained sometimes about having to go. But as my dad always reminded me, “God gives you 168 hours a week, you should be able to give him 1 back”. Not much I could say in response to that. I always felt “at home” and secure in church, and it also had somewhat of a “heavenly” feel.

Today, I get the same sense and feel when I enter a church as I did when I was young. Every time I drive through a town when on road trips, I instinctually look around in an attempt to locate the Catholic Church, and if I have the time, I like to pull in and check to see if the doors are open so I can “check it out” and say a few quick prayers. Have you ever noticed that every church seems to have its own distinctive smell? I can almost tell what church I am in just by the smell.

After my reversion, I soon developed two liturgical loves: (a) Daily Mass, and (b) the Tridentine Mass. I remember when I went to my first Tridentine Mass – I didn’t have a clue what was going on, but I loved it. I guess you can say it felt like I was “at home”, and that it had a “heavenly” feel.

But I have also become more attuned to seeing the Mass and the “heavenly” in the every day. And when I go to Mass, I bring the “everyday” with me. These “connections” help me to make the Mass the true “source and summit” of my life, and enable me to “put more in” when I do attend and assist.

Some of these reflections and insights will be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment